February 12, 2020
What I'm Seeing Out There - February 2020 Edition
With 2020 in full swing, it’s time to get the latest trends/insights as you think about your Engaged Pursuit!
Only 4,932 days until Spring!!
It’s been a nasty few weeks here in Seattle. Folks ask me all the time, “Is it really that rainy in Seattle?” Well, since the start of the new year, the answer is a big, fat “YES!!” Ugh.
Good thing you have my January Daily Insights and “The Bachelor” to get you through!
Now that we’re mid-way through February, I thought I’d give you the latest/greatest on the market. From potential clients, to those in the thick-of-it, to those who landed somewhere great, I think there’s a ton of value in sharing their Engaged Pursuit experiences with you.
Here’s what I’m seeing out there:
- There’s a ton of opportunity. Clients are riding the new year wave, with lots of cool roles that go beyond the required. Stuff like “Customer Engagement Manager” and “Solution Sales Strategist” and “Relationship Management Specialist” to name a few. Now I do still expect a slow-down during the Summer (especially with this being an election year), but right now the market is HOT!
- The “Professional Story” is still at the center of the experience. For 99% of clients, the first question in any search is “So tell me about yourself…” (Duh!) Folks are really grateful to have this answer prior to hitting-the-pavement, as it’s truly a way to differentiate amongst a crowded field. My recommendation – keep it crisp, clear, and confident to move ahead in the process.
- Things can change on a dime. I’ve had a few clients who are going through some pretty radical organizational change. Almost overnight, their teams have been modified, their bosses have moved on, and their priorities have shifted. Managing this change has become a bigger part of my business. The good news: The Professional Story (and the Professional Dashboard) almost guarantee success during these challenging situations.
- The process is much more “art” than “science.” I’ve started to really focus on the softer side of this experience. It’s more than a resume, a Linked-Up update, and an informational interview. The process is scary, full of confidence-busting experiences and fear of the unknown. Clients are loving my book recommendations, meditation links, and regular check-ins. Speaking of balance…
- Never underestimate the power of a good weekend off! I just got back from a long weekend in California, and boy do I feel refreshed! Time away (in the sun!!) with no phone and a good book can really make an impact on your (mental) health. Even just one day of this can go a long way! Try it if you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- It’s still People > Portals. After 4+ years running my own consulting practice, literally two clients have landed a role by submitting an application via a traditional job portal. What I continue to hear, “I’ve applied to [insert any number over 500] roles and haven’t heard back from any!” Unfortunately, that’s still the case. While I think it’s ok to apply for roles via job portals (after you finish the foundational work), it’s best to also work with your community to get an additional “in” via a referral.
Have any questions? Want to talk further? You know how to get a hold of me!
Next up – For many of you it’s Performance Review season!!! I’ll spell out my best practices to ensure you show-up well during this super-important experience.
Here’s to your Engaged Pursuit!
Share This Post
More From the Blog
June 5, 2020
My Take - May's Job Numbers
Spark of better things to come? We’ll see… Unemployment numbers for May were released this morning, and the reaction from the analyst community can be summed-up in one word: surprise. 2. 5 million jobs were added in May and the unemployment rate fell to 13. 3 percent. Wall Street is responding positively, with the S&P 500 up o
May 22, 2020
Your (Holiday) Weekend Guide
Need some stuff to do this long weekend? I’m here to help!your Memorial Day Weekend is almost here, and I wanted to send you some ideas if you’re looking for fun stuff to do, watch, read, drink. Here’s what I’ve been up to and think you might enjoy: What I’m watching: I can’t wait to start Season Two of “Selling Sunset” on Netfli